Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Have you done any good in the World today??

In the October 1963 General Conference, President David O. McKay made this statement: “Man’s greatest happiness comes from losing himself for the good of others."
 If the Savior said it in times of old, and now the Prophets of our day are saying it... Maybe it does bring joy... Some might ask, "I can barely make it through each day, doing all that I need to do. How can I provide service for others? What can I possibly do?" 
     President Monson Said, "Find someone who is having a hard time or is ill or lonely, and do something for him or her." It doesn't have to be something big,  it's the little A.R.K.'s (Acts of Random Kindness) that matter to others.  I promise you Brothers and Sisters that our time spent rendering service will never be wasted! It will bring you joy!! I'll share a poem I found,

 I have wept in the night 
For the shortness of sight
That to somebody’s need made me blind;
But I never have yet
Felt a tinge of regret
For being a little too kind.

One of my favorite scriptures says, “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.”
Let me make the challenge to you as well, let yourself have that joy in your heart, lose yourself in the service of the Lord, do something for someone, somewhere this day! I know you won't regret it! God bless you in your effort!!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing all this with us... I was outside today with my kids looking at the flowers coming out.. and my elderly neighbor needed help... anyways long story short.. she thinks that she has to pay everyone that helps her or that does something nice for her.. she thinks she has to atleast give them something... but everyone isn't like that.. I tried to share with her about how if we serve one another that we are serving our Heavenly Father and she agreed, but she still thinks this way... I want to help and I try to walk away without taking things and feel bad when I visit she gives us stuff.. so my question is.. how do you handle this?? idk maybe as a missionary you might ran into this... Hope all is well!
    Thank you for your time and service to the Church Mission

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney!!
    How in the world are you?! So I'm really sorry it has taken me so long to respond. It's been such a long process getting everything set up and what not. But that is a pretty tough situation. I would have to say, that as long as your doing service, you should let her do hers, which might just be giving you some random things. I would just continue to try to do things in secret though, and dodge that moment when she tries to give you money. Leave before.. :) haha This probably isn't the best advice, but I know if you're doing it with the right mind set, and your trying to serve, you will be blessed. (Even if she does pay you) :) haha

    ReplyDelete